Painting of the Week
I decided that I wanted to paint a “traditional” portrait. A bust of a woman with a strong profile. I chose a book of portraits by Rembrandt as my reference. Mostly for ideas for background colors and composition. I am using a limited palette of Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Ultramarine Blue, and Titanium White. I used this palette with my first Morphing painting and I had a lot of positive feedback, so I’m trying it again.
I’m posting my final value thumbnail, the layout, and a detail of it now. Hopefully, I’ll be posting the final painting in the next few days.
Janelle and I went to the Frist Museum yesterday. Fairy Tales, Monsters, and the Genetic Imagination Exhibit was absolutely fascinating. It definitely inspired me to take another look and even make slight changes in the conceptual direction of my latest painting.
I’m 99.9% sure I just finished this piece. I had a lot of fun working on it and can’t wait to start the third in the series.
I started the owl painting some time ago(7months) with the help of Janelle and we lost interest in it pretty quickly. I think it might have been because I started working on the detail way to early. I didn’t see a way it could be resolved at that stage of the game, so naturally I got bored, turned the painting around, and moved on to something else.
Well, lately I’ve been creatively amped up. I’m drawing and painting all of the time, throwing acrylic on canvas even working on more than one piece at a time. At some point this past week, I pulled the canvas out from behind the easel and decided to finish the owl painting. All I needed to do was wash out all of the detail and add a few minimal touches here and there and voilà.